It’s no secret that I love everything related to fall. (See Exhibit A and Exhibit B here.) Naturally, with it being fall, I am craving pumpkin everything and I’m on a mission to do as many fall things as I can before it’s over.
Pumpkin bread, scones, cake, ice cream, candles, I love it all! And then I thought to myself, what is the one thing I like more than pumpkin? Tea of course, and then it hit me: Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes!!!
I have to admit that I was inspired by one of my favourite teas for this particular recipe… of course I’m referring to DAVIDsTea’s Pumpkin Chai! It is seriously the perfect tea for fall and warming the soul up after a crisp, fall day. I love the mix of sweet pumpkin, cinnamon and chai spices. It’s the perfect balance and drink for fall.
Anyways, I’m sure you’re all sick of hearing me blabber on about fall by now. So, without further ado, let’s get on to the recipe!
- 1 and 1/2 Cups gluten free all purpose flour (I use Robin Hood's)
- 1/2 Cup white sugar
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Cup and 1.5 Tbsp pumpkin purée
- 1/2 Cup butter, softened
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 1 Tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Large eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 4 Cup icing sugar
- 1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 1-2 chai tea bags
- 1/2 Tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Add in the wet ingredients
- Bake for 25-35 minutes
- Heat some milk in a glass and steep the tea for 6-10 minutes
- Measure out 4 tbsp of the chai/milk and mix together with the icing sugar, vanilla and shortening using an electric blender
- Optional: Garnish with crushed pecans
And there you have it! If you have any questions, or even another recipe using pumpkin chai, let me know in the comments. I hope you’re all enjoying the last bit of fall!
This post was originally posted in October 2012 on the old site but has been updated and reposted so that the recipe can live on!