It’s that time of year again – aka eat everything pepperminty, chocolatey and bad for you. I thought I would share an oldie but a goodie today – one of my favourite holiday recipes! My gluten-free peppermint chocolate chip cookies!
These cookies are probably the best thing I’ve ever created. Honest. The first time I made them, (for watching the Santa Clause Parade of course!) they were gone by the end of the day. This recipe makes roughly 2-3 dozen. The second time I made them I wanted to take them to work. They didn’t make it out my door. I eventually got a batch to work (two actually!), and ended up having a co-worker who even paid me to make an entire batch for her. They’re actually pretty simple to make and don’t take too much time either.
- 2 1/4 Cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp xanthan gum
- 3/4 Cup butter, softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tsp peppermint extract
- 2 Cups chocolate and white chocolate chips
- 4-6 Large candy canes, crushed
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and eggs, mix again. It's easier to mix the dough with your hands at this point.
- Add vanilla and peppermint extract, mix it really well using your hands. The dough is going to be thick and hard to work with.
- Add the crushed candy canes and chocolate chips and mix together one final time.
- Create small dough balls, roughly around one inch and slightly flatten them with a spoon.
- Place them on a baking sheet, about 1-2 inches apart, lined with either parchment paper or tin foil (shiny side down, lightly greased)
- Bake for 9-12 minutes at 375F.