I remember growing up we always had one of two things for Christmas breakfast. Cinnabon and raisin toast. Udi’s makes raisin bagels that I really like so I haven’t missed out on that since going gluten free. They recently came out with a cinnamon roll as well, but it isn’t really much like Cinnabon’s although it works in a pinch if you’re too lazy to bake.
I wanted to try and make something that was more comparable to Cinnabon’s cinnamon rolls though. This is what I got. Fair warning, if you do eat Udi’s cinnamon rolls you’ll never be able to go back after this. This recipe is a bit time consuming (I’d make sure to set aside 2 hours from start to finish) but it makes a lot and you could easily freeze some or make smaller cinnamon rolls to get more out of it.
- 4 Tbsp butter at room temp
- 1 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 4 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Cups all purpose gluten free flour (I use Robin Hood)
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 3 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp xanthan gum
- 1 Tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp butter at room temperature
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 2 Large eggs
- 2 ounces cream cheese (6 Tbsp)
- 1 Cup icing (powdered) sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- In a small bowl mix all the ingredients for the filling with a fork; the mixture will be crumbly. Set it aside for now.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients for the dough.
- Using an electric mixer, mix in the butter first then the eggs and milk.
- Roll out the dough on a floured cutting board in a long rectangle/oval shape approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle the filling on top of the dough, leaving roughly an inch around the edge.
- Carefully roll the dough into a log then slice the log into 10 – 15 rolls.
- Place the rolls into a lightly greased muffin tin and bake for 20-30 minutes, o0r until they are golden-brown at 400F.
- Mix together using an electric mixer.
- Drizzle over cinnamon buns once they are cooled.
- You can make extra icing and store it in the fridge to add on top as needed. I warm up my cinnamon buns by just zapping them in the microwave.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!