I have no idea where December went. Seriously, how is Christmas less than ten days away?!?! I thought it was time for me to share another one of my festive recipes! Eating biscotti with a latte or hot chocolate is one of my favourite things to do during the winter. But, the gluten-free biscotti you can get at the grocery store can be pretty steep, so decided to make my own. Biscotti is actually one of the few things that gluten free flour works really well for since the flour is naturally a little dryer and doesn’t hold moisture well.
I will admit, this is a bit time consuming, but this recipe makes a lot and the biscotti keeps for a pretty long time. I usually freeze about a half to a third of it in ziplock baggies and just take out a few pieces at a time to enjoy.
If lattes or hot coco isn’t your thing, I also loooove having this with some spiced egg nog. Gosh, holiday food is the best!
- 1/2 Cup softened butter
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 Cups gluten-free, all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp baking powder
- 1/3 Cup crushed candy cane
- 1/4 Tsp xanthan gum
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar & butter in a bowl.
- Next, add the eggs and beat until well mixed.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour, baking powder and xanthan gum.
- Finally add candy canes.
- Flour a cutting board or your countertop and create a log shape out of the dough.
- Bake at 350F 18-20 min. When the top of the log cracks slightly, reduce the heat to 325F and remove them from the oven.
- Cut the log diagonally into 1/2" slices and place the biscotti with the cut side down on the baking sheet, then bake the biscotti for an additional 12-14 minutes, turning once halfway through. You can store them in a ziplock bag and freeze them as well.