So today is conveniently Flashback Friday and National Donut day. Yes, National Donut Day is a real day and yes it is the greatest day on earth. So I thought today would be a perfect opportunity to dig up a post from my old blog and move it on and over here! Tah-dah! I bring you, tea infused gluten free donuts…
One of the biggest problems about going gluten free is not being able to enjoy a donut with your coffee. Seriously, if you have a sweet tooth like I do it’s pure torture, especially when you’re out and about and at a coffee & donut shop. Donuts are becoming the next big thing in the baking world and I’ve always wanted to try making some gluten free ones. My mom got me a donut tray for Christmas and I finally was able to put it to good use!
It’s no secret that I love tea too. I really wanted to try something different with my donuts (go big or go home right?!) so I decided to infuse them with tea! I used DAVIDsTEA’s Strawberry Shortcake tea but this recipe would seriously work with anything, even matcha. I’m either going to try it with their Coco Chai Rooibos tea next or Matcha Matsu.
I’m also kind of obsessed with this donut love mug from Target. How cute is it?! I think it’s from their Valentine’s collection, so I’m not sure if it’s still available.
I also created this recipe as a part of a contest that DAVIDsTea is running in collaboration with Snapguide. To see step by step photos and instructions you can go here, otherwise follow the recipe below! (edit: I ended up placing 3rd! Big surprise! A huge thanks to DAVIDsTea & Snapguide for hosting this contest!!)
If you are making this recipe not gluten free, simply use regular flour and do not use the xanthan gum. You could also easily make this recipe vegan friendly by using soy milk and egg substitutes! :) happy tummies all around!
Gluten free tea-infused donuts.
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
- 3 Cups Gluten free flour
- 2 Cups White sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ½ Cups Oil
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Teaspoons Loose tea leaves
- ½ Teaspoons Xanthan gum
- In a medium sauce pan heat the tea leaves and milk for 7-10 minutes on low-medium heat while stirring. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately then combine.Lightly grease the pan using either butter or oil. Bake at 350F for 10 min or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- To create the icing, simply mix together 1tsp vanilla extract, icing/confectioners sugar and water until you reach your desired consistency. You can also add things like fruit puree and chocolate to flavour your icing. You could even use tea as well! The possibilities are endless.
- Once the donuts are cool, dip one side in the icing and add any decorations. Wait for the icing to set and enjoy!
Teacups and Things http://teacupsandthings.com/